FUNDS NOW AVAILABLE FOR URBAN & COMMUNITY FORESTRY PROJECTS
The VI Department of Agriculture announces that grant proposals are now being accepted for Urban and Community Forestry projects. In May and November of each year, the Forestry Division of the Department of Agriculture accepts proposals for projects that encourage citizen involvement in urban and community forestry projects throughout the Territory. Organizations and agencies in the US Virgin Islands may apply for grants up to $20,000. Grants require a 1-to- 1 match to the amount of funding requested; however, matches may be met through in-kind donations and volunteer time. Grant awards will be made on a competitive basis.
Grant proposals are due on May 7, 2018 by 5 p.m. at the main office of the VI Department of Agriculture located at #1 Estate Lower Love, St. Croix.
The U&CF Program seeks proposals for project funding from local government agencies, nonprofit organizations, civic/service and/or educational organizations, including but not limited to schools, homeowners’ associations, service clubs, and environmental organizations. This year, the U&CF Program is looking for projects in the following areas:
- Planning for and planting urban trees;
- Identifying and managing hazardous trees;
- Education and public outreach about urban forests and trees;
- Training new certified arborists;
- Protection and publicity about heritage and remarkable big trees;
- Reducing forest health risk due to invasive species;
- Collecting data on wildlife use of urban forests;
- Developing and/or implementing forest management plans for developed areas with
- Writing and establishing tree ordinances for neighborhood associations.
NOTE: The U&CF Program does NOT fund agricultural projects. Projects must have a major forestry component to be eligible for funding.
For more information, please contact Mr. Louis Hilgemann, U&CF Program Coordinator, at 340-778-0997 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the VI Department of Agriculture, St. Croix office for a grant application packet.