Disaster Unemployment Assistance Now Available for Residents of St. Thomas and St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands Affected by Hurricane Irma
The Honorable Kenneth E. Mapp announces the availability of the Federal Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) program to residents of the St. Thomas and St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands who have been affected by Hurricane Irma and its aftermath. Consistent with President Trump’s September 7, 2017 declaration of disaster, residents of St. Thomas and St. John can apply for assistance. The Virgin Islands Department of Labor (VIDOL) Commissioner Catherine E. Hendry would like to express her support to the residents of St. Thomas and St. John.
Persons who lost their job and live or work in St. Thomas or St. John or have been displaced due to Hurricane Irma are encouraged to apply for these unemployment insurance benefits.
The DUA program provides unemployment benefits and re-employment services to individuals who have become unemployed as a result of a major disaster and who are not eligible for regular unemployment insurance.
Requirements to be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance are as follows:
- You are unemployed due to the disaster and do not qualify for regular unemployment insurance benefits; OR
- You are self-employed or a small business owner who lost income due to the disaster; OR
- You are prevented from working due to an injury caused by the disaster; OR
- You have become the sole supporter of the household due to the disaster-related death or injury of another family member; OR
- You are unable to reach your job or self-employment location because you must travel through the affected area and are prevented from doing so by the disaster; OR
- You were to commence employment or self-employment but were prevented by the disaster; AND
- You have not refused an offer of employment in a suitable position.
All claims for Disaster Unemployment Assistance must be filed by Monday, October 30, 2017.
To apply for unemployment benefits or Disaster Unemployment (DUA), those affected by Hurricane Irma can file your claims in person at the VIDOL Office on St. Thomas at 2353 Kronprindsens Gade and on St. John at the VI Legislature, St. John Annex 1D Cruz Bay, St. John.
Additional press releases on VIDOL resource initiatives for the Territory due to Hurricane Maria will be forthcoming.